Friday, September 9, 2011

Morrow-TV: Sarah Michelle Gellar chose 'Ringer' after 'Buffy'

Unlike many actors, Sarah Michelle Gellar won't dismiss her past so easily.

Going into "Ringer," her new adventure series (debuting 9 p.m. EDT Tuesday, The CW), she's well aware that her fans from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" are still out there and very focused.

"When picking a show, I took into consideration who my fans are, because, let's be honest, I mean, we were a midseason replacement on The WB, based on a failed movie, 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer.' If it wasn't for the outpouring of fans, and the journalists, too, supporting us, we would have been canceled after four episodes," Gellar told reporters recently.

"And I think as an actor, sure you want to stretch and you want to do different things, but I think it's also our job to think about who our fans are and what they want to see, too.

"Because, let's be honest, ultimately that's why we do it. I mean, I do it to entertain the people that want to watch what I do."

Gellar quit "Buffy" after several years because she was burned out on the demands of doing an hourlong comedy-adventure. She was in her mid-20s when she walked away from the show. Since then, she's gotten married, started a family and gone on to big-screen roles. Now in her early 30s, Gellar is ready to tackle weekly series work again.

"Ringer" has some faint similarities to "Buffy." While the new show has no supernatural elements, it does have a Hitchcocklike style -- double crosses, double lives and threats from every corner.

Gellar is once again in the thick of danger. She's tough and smart in the three roles she has here: Bridget, a former prostitute and recovering drug addict; Siobhan, who is Bridget's wealthy identical twin with a shady life; and Bridget-as-Siobhan, which has Bridget on the lam and assuming Siobhan's identity after Siobhan is assumed dead.

The switching from character to character has been a juggling act for Gellar, but one she relishes.

"It's interesting. I think it's like children," she says of the three roles.

"When you're each one, you have to love each one individually and understand that one. So when I'm Bridget, I feel that all of Bridget's motivations are hers, and Siobhan is wrong. And when I'm Siobhan, everything Bridget does is wrong.

"I try to get into the head of each of them."

Scripps News



No comments:

Post a Comment