Monday, March 14, 2011

James Marsters Mentions Piccolo and Other Sci Fi Projects

In a recent interview with San Diego LGBT Weekly, James Marsters was asked about his current, favorite and future roles in which he discusses Piccolo in Dragonball and Lex Luther.

Aside from your roles in Buffy and Torchwood, you have a long list of other great credits. What are some of your favorites? What are you working on now? What roles are coming up for you?

You actually want me to plug myself? OK, here goes, but I warn you. I’m shameless. Favs: Buzz Aldrin in Moonshot, Piccolo in Dragonball and recording the books of The Dresden Files (available on iTunes). Now: Victor Hess in Hawaii Five-O. Coming up: Lex Luther in D.C. Universe, a sprawling new online game that was described as “the greatest Superman movie that they will never make” at this year’s Comic-Con, hopefully a new TV series (can’t talk about it … very hush, hush) and more Dresden.

He also discusses his other roles in other Sci Fi related projects.

LGBT Weekly: Most people know you as the sexy and mysterious Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Did you ever think Spike would become so popular when you were first presented with the part?

Marsters: No, I was supposed to die in five episodes. Joss (Whedon, executive producer) explained very clearly that he couldn’t wait to kill me. I spent the first year reading the scripts backward looking for my ignoble demise.

How much of an influence were you able to contribute to the character development of Spike?

On the writing, zero. On the costume, zero. On the plots, zero. But an actor can say the words, “I love you,” and make them mean, “I hate you,” or even,” I don’t care about you.” So the truth was that I had a lot of influence. In TV, directors don’t give a lot of direction. It gets actors thinking too much, up in their heads and not in their guts. So unless it sucks, they move on.

Another role our readers would know you from is Captain John Hart on Torchwood. What drew you to this character?

Are you kidding me? John Barryman of course! (A gay actor, Barryman plays Captain Jack Harkness, the show’s lead character.) Getting to kiss him, and then beat the hell out of him was just too good. Plus, the writing. We’ve made all the right people uncomfortable with that show. The theme, “Gay people are kick ass heroes,” is something that I am very proud to have a part in saying.

Comic Book Movie

No comments:

Post a Comment