Thursday, January 6, 2011

Rupert Giles Thinks The Buffy Movie Remake Is ‘A Horrible Idea’


Thursday, January 6th, 2011 at 2:00pm

Since Warner Bros. announced in November that it plans to remake the 1992 Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie, without the involvement of Joss Whedon, we’ve heard from countless fans, Whedon himself, TV series stars David Boreanaz, Eliza Dushku and Nicholas Brendan, and even the original Buffy Kristy Swanson. (She’s all for it.) But now the Watcher has weighed in and, needless to say, he disapproves.

“It’s not a great idea,” actor Anthony Head, who played Buffy’s mentor Rupert Giles for seven seasons, tells The Huffington Post. Wait, it’s more than simply not great.

“It’s a horrible idea,” continues Head, who’s making the rounds to promote the third season of Merlin. It’s a horrible idea in as much as Buffy was a great conceit. It was a great story. A great idea. I don’t think you can … whether you feel as though you helped it on its way, I don’t feel that you can then remake that without the original creator on board. It doesn’t make sense. And I mean, somewhere down the line, I suppose sometimes … I suppose you could, but it never sits very comfortably. With someone like Joss, why would you want to? Well, I know why you want to. You want to make money. As he said recently, ‘I hope it’s good!’ [laughs] I love him.”

Head was also asked about the long-discussed Giles spinoff Ripper, which was discussed as early as 2001 as a BBC special or miniseries. Odds are the show is as dead as the character, who was killed off by Whedon last month in the 39th issue of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8.

“Not unless he comes back as a ghost,” Head says. “In Season 8, the comic book, Giles just died. [laughs] So I think it’s R.I.P. Ripper.”

Head returns as the tyrannical King Uther Pendragon in the third season of Merlin, which premieres Friday at 10 p.m. ET/PT on Syfy.

Comic Book Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment