Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Original 'Buffy' Creator Peeved About New Film

11/23/10

Joss Whedon: 'I don't love the idea of my creation in other hands.'
Victoria Fitzgerald

Joss Whedon, creator of hit TV series Buffy The Vampire Slayer, has blasted Warner Bros.' decision to create a brand new Buffy film.

Whedon wrote the 1992 Buffy The Vampire Slayer movie starring Kirsty Swanson and Luke Perry, which was directed by Fran and Rubel Kasui and Kaz Kazui, who also owned the rights to the movie. Joss also wrote, produced, and directed the TV series.

However, Fran and Rubel Kasui and Kaz Kazui have now passed over the movie rights to Warner Bros., according to Deadline.com.

In a statement to E! Entertainment, the Buffy creator said, "Obviously I have strong, mixed emotions about something like this.”

He added, "I always hoped that Buffy would live on even after my death. But, you know, after. I don't love the idea of my creation in other hands, but I'm also well aware that many more hands than mine went into making that show what it was. And there is no legal grounds for doing anything other than sighing audibly."

He continued light heartedly, "I can't wish people who are passionate about my little myth ill. I can, however, take this time to announce that I'm making a Batman movie. Because there's a franchise that truly needs updating. So look for The Dark Knight Rises Way Earlier Than That Other One And Also More Cheaply And In Toronto, rebooting into a theater near you."

The updated version will apparently be written by Whit Anderson, and will show the slayer’s life after high school. The Dark Knight producer, Charles Roven, is also set to join the team.

The Celebrity Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment